Existential Ramble has moved: http://davidandpatrick.com/erblog/

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Editorial: A Watchdog Muted

The New York Times > Editorial: A Watchdog Muted: "...[Newly appointed chairman of The United States Commission on Civil Rights, Gerald Reynolds] has said the civil rights groups overstate the problem of discrimination. This approach may make for warmer relations with the White House, but it hardly seems likely to keep the commission on the leading edge of the struggle for civil rights." No surprises here. What is concerning is the apparent lack of awareness many have that Shrub seems so comfortable using minorities as a platform for his own self-aggrandizement. Found on the wall of Dachau when it was liberated in 1944. It was written by the Protestant Clergyman Martin Niemuhler (Niemoller).

"When they came to get the Jews I didn't say anything because I wasn't one of them. When the Nazis came to get the Blacks I didn't say anything because I wasn't one of them. When they took the crippled, the mentally unstable and the insane away I didn't say anything. When they took the Catholics away I didn't say anything because I wasn't one of them. Now I can't say anything because they have come and taken me away." quote

Find more posts in the monthly archives.