Existential Ramble has moved: http://davidandpatrick.com/erblog/

Friday, December 24, 2004

Coburn the Fanatic

Doctor's Order (washingtonpost.com): "He told a meeting of local Republicans that 'the gay community has infiltrated the very centers of power. They are the greatest threat, that agenda is the greatest threat to our freedom that we face today.' "
Fascinating. I don't feel like the greatest threat. I wonder what it is I'm going to do by loving my husband, caring for an elderly relative, raising my son and working hard for my employer? And what is my agenda, anyway? Equal rights? Well, at least I don't want them only for myself. If that is the agenda, I want it for everyone. My comfort comes from the probability that fanaticism will trip over its own sword. The sad part will be the harm done to Oklahoma in having ineffective representation in the Senate.
"Good God," [Joe Scarborough] recalls thinking. "May God help the leadership of the Republican Senate. I just can't imagine. I can't imagine how much fun it's going to be to watch Tom Coburn go after his own."
Unless you live in Oklahoma and were looking for a US Senator who would move forward the agenda of the state. In that case, it seems unlikely you'll have much fun.

Find more posts in the monthly archives.